Application Forms

The General Data Protection Regulations require us to revise the notification we provide to our customers on our application forms as to how and for what reason we intend to use your data. To allow for this, we have temporarily removed the BCNI application forms until a suitable wording is agreed and implemented across Local Authority Building Control. If you require a Building Control Application form, please contact your local Councils Building Control Office. Contact details can be found by clicking here. It is anticipated that revised BCNI application forms will be available in the near future. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Making an application

Building Regulations apply to most ‘building work’. This requires you to make an application before proceeding with the work. Building Control applications must be submitted to Building Control Services. Applications are required for new build, property extensions and also work of a minor nature; particularly, installing fittings, new heating appliances and systems, altering a building’s structure, changing the use of a building or building work affecting fire safety. In some instances, repair work to buildings will also require a Building Control application. Some work is exempt from Building Regulations but may require approval under other legislation, such as an application to the Planning Service. The best way to check that you are doing the right thing is to contact Building Control Services before starting your project. Getting good advice from the beginning will help you avoid problems later.

Application Forms

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council

Ards and North Down Borough Council

Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council

Belfast City Council

Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council

Derry City and Strabane District Council

Fermanagh and Omagh District Council

Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council

Mid and East Antrim Borough Council

Mid Ulster District Council

Newry, Mourne and Down District Council

Examples of work that require an application are:

  • New Buildings
  • Dwellings
  • Detached garages (over 30m² floor area)
  • Structural Alterations
  • Removal of walls
  • Patio door installation
  • Roof space conversions
  • Extensions
  • Attached garages
  • Thermal Alterations
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Renovation of thermal elements
  • Installation of works and fittings
  • Drainage alterations
  • Central heating alterations and installations
  • Mains powered smoke detectors
  • Pressurised domestic hot water systems
  • Changing a building’s use
  • Apartment conversion

Note: This list is not exhaustive, other works also require an application to be made.

How to I make an application?

You can contact Building Control Services to receive advice on the appropriate application form and to discuss your project.